Hello and welcome to another week of Zack’s Stack! I will fully admit that as my stack continues to grow larger and larger, my commitment to DC has certainly taken a hit. I’m down to basically just Batman and Detective Comics (until the Watchmen stuff starts and I catch up on Red Hood and the Outlaws). I have heard incredibly positive things about the DC Rebirth titles currently available though, so I highly suggest you read them and let me know!
So anyway, here’s a list of things I’m going to get this week! It’s the beginning of the month so of course the list is much longer than usual!
1. Moon Knight #11 – This is one of my absolute favorite current Marvel titles. If Vision was still a thing, MK would be #2, but it isn’t, so Moon Knight jumps into a clear first place spot. The writing and plot are bats**t insane (the only way I can describe it), and the art is otherworldly and sporadically switches styles, but it all works together in an incredibly coherent way. This is one of my favorite current titles and one I highly recommend.
2. Avengers #4 – I have never been a fan of group titles, for the most part. HOWEVER, the beautiful mix of Mark Waid and Mike Del Mundo got me interested and kept me hooked. The conflict is grand, the interactions between characters flow excellently, the art is… DEL MUNDO ART. I shouldn’t have to say more than that. This book is great.
3. Batman #16 – Today I told Mike I had yet to catch up on Batman, and he told me that Batman is incredibly strong right now. Of course, Tom King is writing it so it warms my heart to know that he’s doing good work. #16 begins a new arc titled “I AM BANE,” so of course, it’ll be interesting to see how Batman fairs against Killer Croc. Whoooosh…
4. Bullseye #1 – Another Marvel villain series! Between BULLSEYE and KINGPIN, Marvel has the Daredevil rogues gallery set well with their own titles. Bullseye has always been a fairly strong character and an excellent villain, so it’ll be interesting to get in his mind.
5. Paper Girls #11 – It’s Brian K. Vaughan. Time travel, newspaper delivery, otherworldly stuff… I think that’s all I need to say.
6. The Walking Dead #163 – The Whisperers’ War is over. What comes next? Who knows! Kirkman went against the grain with the last issue and absolutely subverted expectations. Will he surprise in #163? I can’t wait to find out.
7. Champions #5 – The lil team that could! And does! And does really well! I hope that by this issue they get past the “I WANNA BE LEADER” running thing, because it’s starting to get old. However, this title is still really well done thus far outside of that so I’m happy continuing to pick this one up.
8. Hawkeye #3 – Katie Kate Hawkeye! Kate Barton’s Hawkeye has been relatively unexplored, and in this series she’s a Jessica Jones-y Hawkeye, attempting to start her less-than-licensed PI practice. It’s pretty entertaining. I’m not 100% sold yet, but issue three should decide that.
9. Karnak #6 – Karnak sees the flaws in all things. The only flaw I see in this book is that it doesn’t come out near quick enough!