Welcome to the fascinating world of Warhammer 40k! If you’re a new player interested in starting an Ork army, you’ve come to the right place. In this guide, we’ll explore the captivating lore of the Orks, essential components for a Kill Team, and the key pieces needed for a full-scale army. Brainstorm Comics and Gaming, your friendly local gaming shop for 4 decades, is here to help you on your road to success. Let’s get started!
Ork Lore: A Brief Overview
The Orks are a brutal, war-loving race that thrives on conflict and destruction. They are one of the most ancient races in the Warhammer 40k universe, with their origins dating back to the time of the ancient Krork. The Orks are a biologically-engineered race, designed to be the perfect warriors and equipped with incredible regenerative abilities. They are driven by a primal instinct to fight and conquer, which makes them a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield.
The Orks are divided into various clans, each with its own distinct culture, colors, and tactics. Some of the most well-known Ork clans include the Goffs, Evil Sunz, Bad Moons, and Deathskulls. Despite their differences, all Orks share a common love for violence and the thrill of combat.
For a more in-depth look at Ork lore, check out the Codex: Orks from Games Workshop. This comprehensive tome delves into the history, culture, and tactics of the Orks and is a must-have for any budding Ork player. Remember to purchase your items from Brainstorm Comics and Gaming, however, so that you save 10% off of the MSRP of all GW products (with the exception of limited edition or single print run figures).
Key Ork Units
The Orks have a diverse array of units at their disposal, ranging from hulking war machines to sneaky Kommandos. Here are some of the key units in an Ork army:
- Boyz: These are the backbone of any Ork force. They are tough, numerous, and can dish out a lot of damage in close combat.
- Nobz: These are the elite Ork warriors, bigger and stronger than the average Boy. They serve as leaders and enforcers within the Ork ranks.
- Warboss: The biggest and baddest Ork of them all, the Warboss is the leader of an Ork Waaagh! and a formidable combatant.
- Mekboy: Mekboys are Ork engineers, responsible for building and maintaining the ramshackle vehicles and weapons that make up an Ork warband.
- Weirdboy: Weirdboys are Ork psykers, able to channel the raw psychic energy generated by their fellow Orks to unleash devastating psychic powers on the battlefield.
At Brainstorm Comics and Gaming, your friendly local gaming shop located at 117 N Market St in downtown Frederick, Maryland, we have been the area’s go-to friendly local gaming store for 40 years. We pride ourselves on helping new players find their perfect army and providing the guidance necessary to build it. Remember, “Your collection starts here!”
Building an Ork Kill Team
A Kill Team is a small-scale skirmish force, usually consisting of 3-20 miniatures. It’s a great way to start collecting and playing with a new army without the need for a large investment of time or money. Here are some essential components for building an Ork Kill Team:
1. Core Units
For a balanced and competitive Kill Team, you’ll want to start with a mix of Ork Boyz and specialized units. Some excellent options include:
- Ork Boyz: These are the bread and butter of any Ork force, and a Kill Team is no exception. Boyz are versatile fighters, capable of dishing out damage with their shootas or in close combat with their choppas and sluggas.
- Ork Kommandos: Stealthy and deadly, Kommandos excel at infiltrating enemy lines and causing havoc. Their ability to deploy closer to the enemy makes them perfect for taking out high-value targets and grabbing objectives.
- Ork Burna Boyz: Armed with flamethrowers called Burnas, these Orks excel at clearing out infantry and setting the battlefield ablaze. They can also be equipped with Lootas, which are heavy weapons that pack a punch from a distance.
2. Special Characters
Adding a special character or two can give your Kill Team a significant boost in power and versatility. Some popular options to include when starting an Ork Army:
- Ork Nob with Waaagh! Banner: This Nob not only adds some extra muscle to your Kill Team but also provides valuable buffs to nearby friendly units.
- Ork Painboy: The Painboy is the Orks’ twisted version of a medic. He can heal injured Ork units, keeping your Kill Team fighting fit and ready for more action.
3. Support Units
In a Kill Team game, support units can provide invaluable benefits to your force. Some useful support units for an Ork Kill Team include:
- Ork Gretchin: These small, sneaky creatures can be used as objective grabbers or to screen your more valuable units from enemy fire.
- Ork Mek Gunz: Adding some heavy firepower to your Kill Team, Mek Gunz can dish out impressive damage from a distance and help take down enemy armor.
At Brainstorm Comics and Gaming, we’re here to help you build your perfect Ork Kill Team. Our knowledgeable staff can assist with selecting and purchasing the right units for your force. Remember, “Your collection starts here!”
Starting an Ork Army for a Large Game
Once you’ve mastered the art of Kill Team, you might be eager to expand your Ork force into a full-scale army. To do so, you’ll need to add more units, characters, and vehicles to your collection. Here are some key pieces to consider when building a larger Ork force:
1. Troop Choices
Expanding your Ork Boyz collection is essential for a full-scale army. You’ll also want to consider adding other troop options, such as:
- Ork Stormboyz: Equipped with crude jetpacks, Stormboyz can quickly close the distance to the enemy and excel in close combat.
- Ork Lootas & Burna Boyz: These specialized units can be built either as heavy weapon-toting Lootas or flame-wielding Burna Boyz, providing some much-needed versatility to your army.
2. Fast Attack Choices
Fast attack units are perfect for outflanking your opponent and striking at vulnerable targets. Some popular Ork fast attack options include:
- Ork Warbikers: Mounted on rugged, ramshackle bikes, Warbikers are fast and hard-hitting, making them perfect for hit-and-run tactics.
- Ork Deffkoptas: These helicopter-like contraptions are versatile and mobile, capable of providing valuable reconnaissance and firepower support.
3. Heavy Support Choices
Starting an Ork army requires adding some serious firepower, so consider investing in heavy support units such as:
- Ork Battlewagon: This massive, armored transport can carry a large number of Ork Boyz and provide devastating fire support with its array of heavy weapons.
- Ork Mek Gunz: These artillery pieces can deliver long-range destruction, perfect for dealing with heavily armored targets or entrenched infantry.
4. HQ Choices
An Ork army needs strong leadership, and there are several excellent HQ choices to consider:
- Ork Warboss: As the biggest and toughest Ork around, a Warboss is an essential leader for your army.
- Ork Weirdboy: A powerful psyker, the Weirdboy can unleash devastating psychic powers to support your Ork force.
- Ork Big Mek: An expert in all things mechanical, the Big Mek can keep your vehicles and weapons functioning at peak performance.
At Brainstorm Comics and Gaming, located at 117 N Market St in downtown Frederick, Maryland, we’re dedicated to helping you create the perfect Ork army. With over 40 years of experience as the area’s go-to friendly local gaming store, our staff is here to provide expert advice and assistance. Remember, “Your collection starts here!”
Starting an Ork army can be a rewarding and enjoyable journey for any Warhammer 40k player. By understanding the Ork lore, selecting key units for a Kill Team, and expanding your force into a full-scale army, you’ll be well on your way to dominating the battlefield.
At Brainstorm Comics and Gaming, your friendly local gaming shop for 40 years, we’re committed to helping you every step of the way. Visit us at 117 N Market St in downtown Frederick, Maryland, and let our experienced team guide you through the process of building your Ork army. Remember, “Your collection starts here!”
Remember to join our email list so you don’t miss out on the information you need to succeed! Many Warhammer battlefields are littered with the figures of those who just didn’t know!
Comments are closed